- 10 Tech Tips Every Technology Professional Should Know
- 100 Leading IT Sites to Watch in 2013
- 105 Crucial Websites on Data Centers for IT Specialists
- Career Opportunities in Technology
- Scholarships and Grants for Technology Students
- What is the Difference Between Computer Science and Computer Information Systems Majors?
Find A Degree in Technology
Recent Blog Posts
Scholarships and Grants for Technology Students
Technology is a broad field that encompasses many different majors, including engineering, computer science and information, health technology, and more. There are also many scholarships and grant options for students looking to major in the technology field.
The key to finding “free money” is persistence, and of course, knowing where to look. The Internet is usually reliable. It’s also the first place students go when researching scholarships and grants. However, your first search will likely yield thousands and thousands of hits, making it hard to find just what you’re looking for. But hopefully you’ll find the information below useful in your search.
National Science Foundation Funding
One great place to look for scholarships is through the government’s National Science Foundation. The NSF offers scholarships in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The program provides educational opportunities for technology undergraduate students and makes grants to institutions of higher education to support scholarships for academically talented students demonstrating financial need.
This funding enables technology graduates to enter the STEM workforce or graduate schools upon completion of an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate-level degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics disciplines.
Other Scholarships and Grants
As we mentioned before, scholarships and grants come in all shapes and sizes. And given the growth in the technology industry, money is out there for students who are interested in pursuing a degree in this field. If you’re coming up short, why not reach out to a financial aid counselor at your school for some guidance? You might learn a thing or two about how to search for free money as well as how to apply for other types of aid.
The NSF isn’t the only place to look for grants and scholarships from. A few other tech-oriented scholarships include:
- Jim & Anna Hyonjoo Lint Scholarship: This scholarship is offered to help further the education and career development of scholars, especially in the areas of International Affairs, Counterintelligence and National Security.
- Michigan Council of Women in Technology Foundation’s University Scholarship & Research Grant: This is an annual university scholarship, research grant and laptop grant program, aimed at encouraging deserving female students to pursue information technology and technical careers.
- Minnesota Space Grant Consortium: This scholarship program is available to U.S. Citizens who are full-time students registered at MnSGC Affiliate Member Institutions. Students majoring in science, mathematics, computer science, and engineering are eligible.
- Society of Women Engineers: The SWE has a variety of scholarships in all fields related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. In 2014, 230 scholarships were granted valued at more than $700,000.
- The Wayne V Black Scholarship. Named after the former General Counsel of the Energy Telecommunications and Electrical Association, this scholarship is offered to full-time students studying engineering, computer science, pre-law, political science, and telecommunications.
Other scholarship sources and search engines:
Grant and Scholarship Search
Many different organizations and places of business offer scholarship opportunities for those who qualify. Who knows, perhaps your current employer offers tuition reimbursement or scholarship opportunities based on career goals and academic background. Likewise, always check with your school about scholarship and financial aid opportunities.
Remember, many scholarships and grants are awarded based on financial need, merit, as well as many other factors. Each award is different. Sometimes the scholarships is accessible across disciplines making it more competitive to win. Try to stick with scholarships that focus only on computer science. If you’re looking for a technology grant, then you can perform your own search. A few specifics to search include:
- Academic ability
- Athletic ability
- Essay award winner
- Minority group
- Where you live
- Religious affiliation
Education is expensive and the cost of tuition continues to rise. Scholarships and grants lessen the financial burden on students and their families. Interest rates on student loans are climbing, so research as much as you can about how to qualify for a scholarship or a grant, or both, to prevent borrowing far more than you need to.
Tech Schools and Computer/IT Degrees
BS: IT/Information Systems
|Kaplan University - Kaplan University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is one of the largest schools in the US. While not strictly a technical school, they do offer dozens of degrees in the field of technology like the AAS, BS, and MS in Information Technology. The distance learning programs make it easy for students to attend class and balance work and their personal life.|
BS: IT Security
MS: Computer Sci - Software Eng
|Colorado Technical University - The Colorado Technical University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. CTU is among the largest technical schools in the world with online programs available. Students can obtain degrees like the MS in Computer Science or the BS in Information Technology.|
MS: Info Systems Mgmt
MS: Cyber Security
|Liberty University - Liberty University is the nation's largest Christian school and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Liberty University is not a technical school although students can pursue related online degree programs like an MS in Information Systems Management or an MS in Cyber Security.|